Monday, December 1, 2008

Gloria Loughman - Layer by Layer

I have been cat sitting for a friend and last Friday as I left her place early Friday morning to go back to my place to gather all my stuff for the Gloria Loughman class Layer by Layer I ended up with car trouble. So instead of heading home I headed off to the car dealership and got there just before they opened at 7:30. I explained that I was suppose to be going up north for a class and if there was anything they could do to get me out of there as soon as possible I would really appreciate it. fortunately they found the problem and I was out of there by 9:30. I still had to get home, get packed and was on the road by 10 which would get me up to Cookstown by 11, but the class started at 10. I called up the shop and left a message and explained that I had car trouble, but the problem was fixed and am on my way but will be late.

So even though it was a very frustrating start to the day, I still have a very enjoyable time once I got there. For this class you had the option of working on your own design or pick one of 4 designs that Gloria had created. Given my time constraint I picked one of her designs. Gloria has an interesting way of working on her quilts where she breaks apart her design into sections, works on each one separately then at the end sews the sections back together. Working in these sections it certainly makes it easier to manipulate the pieces, work on the embellishments and then in the end merge the pieces together.

I do have a question for anyone who has experience with fusible web products. What do you use and do you like the product or do you experience and challenges with it. The one that the shop Country Connections had for sale was called "Steam a Seam 2" and it proved to be a bit problematic and several of us has challenges using it. When you peeled the one side off and placed it on the fabric and ironed it on things appeared to be OK. Later when you were ready to place that fabric on your design and you went to peel the second backing off, often the glue layer didn't stay on the fabric but was still stuck on the paper.

Below is a picture of my sections of design. It's actually the tree design that I posted on Tuesday November 25th. Angela does the seaweed fabric in the bottom section look familiar? So for the time this will be a UFO since I have to get the Christmas quilts finished. Once they are done then I will come back and work on this.

Here are a couple of pictures of what two of the ladies who sat in front of me did. I didn't get to see much more of any one's else work because by the end of the day for what ever reason the other ladies were very quick to pack their work away.


2 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

I'm glad you got your car troubles figured out and were able togo to the class. It looks like it was a fun class. What neat creations.

Donna said...

you're not the only person who finds the paper on steam a seam 2 a pain... I've moved to misty fuse which comes paperless -- you supply the parchment paper. I love the very light hand this has -- much less gummy and stiff, but just as effective as other fusibles I've found...