Friday, July 24, 2009
Speaking of giveaways this is my 95th post, so stay tuned since I'm planning on having a giveaway for my 100th post. That probably will be in the next few weeks. I already have a bunch of fat quarters picked out and some other surprises that I think will be of interest to all quilters.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
I found the pattern shown below on the Hoffman site (http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/content/content-folder.asp?FolderID=7). I like the overall design but I am going to make a few modifications to it. When I looked at the instructions I wasn't too thrilled since the person who designed it is cutting most everything into triangles and then sewing all the blocks together on the bias. This is a recipe for disaster.
My first modification is to the green and black HSTs. I'm changing them to plain square blocks but I'm going to do some fussy cutting of the four fabrics below to get a good visual composition for the blocks. Also I'm changing the size of the blocks to 6 1/2" since that is more in line with the image sizes of my fabrics. If my blocks remained at 10 1/2", which is the original size, then I would get things like part of a birds head in with a whole bird.
These are the fabrics for the 4 patch blocks, which is not the way that the blocks are made in the pattern. In the pattern the cream coloured sections are made up of 2 different cream triangles. Personally I didn't think it makes a lot of difference to the overall quilt and who wants to cut a bunch of triangles when a 4 patch block will do.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
This was an example of how the blocks got pieced together.
This is what the block looks like ironed out but before it gets cut.
This is the block after it is cut and you have yourself a square in a square without ever having to cut triangles. Gail showed this method for half square triangles, flying geese and several other blocks that normally require triangles and bias edges. Well this certainly sounds like it would make life easier, especially with blocks like the one below. So I ordered the ruler and a couple of books to give this method a try. I'll let you know what I think of it later on.
Thursday, July 9, 2009
This is the quilt top for the new layout that has 4 colours removed so the quilt is actually going to be more square than rectangular. I now have to piece together a back which for this one I'm going to use the same espresso fabric and then I can make up the quilt sandwich and start quilting.
One thing I have to mention is that this top went together very easily and I have to say if it wasn't for my weekly Friday Block Party blocks that I do (see link on right hand side of my blog) it would have be much more difficult. Thanks go out to Quilt Pixie for running the Friday Block Party site and her advice on some of those more challenging blocks.
Sunday, July 5, 2009
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
For the red and white version we didn't put any borders on it for the time being and only did up the quilt sandwich with the image portion. The reason behind this is that the borders are going to be a cream coloured raw silk which has a tendency to fray. So between all the handling that the main body of the quilt is going to get with all the quilting and embellishment we decided that this one will be done in the "quilt as you go" format. Once the quilting and embellishment is done, we will make up the border pieces attach them and finish up with additional design work on them. By doing it this way we won't have to worry so much about being extremely careful in how we handle the first phase of the quilting and embellishment of this quilt.
So we now have to meet with Jack to go over the plans for what will get quilted and what will be embellished and how. Hopefully this meeting will happen within the next week so that we can start making progress on this project.