This past week I finally had some vacation time and the first few days were just some decompression, relax and get caught up on sleep. I went up north of Toronto to Horseshoe Valley for part of the week which was quite nice just to get away from the big city. I did manage to work on some of the beading for the small wall hanging that I plan to give to the silent auction at our quilt guild show this fall. Here is my progress, it doesn't look like a lot but it's amazing how long it takes to sew those little seed beads on.
So now that I'm back I actually have gotten back to doing some sewing on the blocks for Jade's quilt. Earlier I was having issues with the pattern, and I came across one more before I left for vacation. I found out that it is very important to make sure that all the pieces get sewn back together in their proper order. Even if some pieces look very similar, sewing them in the wring order results in a non-usable block. As you can see from the picture below it doesn't even look remotely square. When I tried to trim this to an 8" square there was no way to make it work without ahcking off some of the points.
So for a pattern that was supposed to be easy and stress free, this one certainly became anything but easy and stress free. I think I have figured out where all the quirks are of this pattern and so far I have made 20 blocks and I need to make another 15. This is what I have so far. Despite all the issues I think this will be a lovely quilt.