Monday, July 26, 2010

Batik Gems - Part 3

Here are my finished 16 patch blocks.  I'm very pleased with how they turned out.


So I started to place all the blocks and strips on my design wall and here is my final layout ready to sew.


I have to say one thing, I'm not very impressed with the design layout and math in the Batik Gems book by Laurie Shifrin.  After I finished placing all the columns of fabric up on the design wall I noticed that the lengths were different from column to column (see bottom of above picture).  At first I thought I either placed a strip of fabric in the wrong column or cut a fabric the wrong length.  When that wasn't the case I went back to the book and I started to run the math based on what the various lengths were suppose to be in each column.  Even after taking into account the different number of seams that can occur from column to column because some columns have 5 pieces, some 7 and some 9 pieces to join together, the end results were 49.5". 50.0" and 50.5" in length.  Fortunately there was only one column that was 49.5" long and 4 each for the other 2 lengths so I decided to lengthen one fabric in the short one and then when I finish sewing them all I will trim everything to the 50.0" length.  I'm not sure but there may be some other math issues in the pattern so I will wait until I'm finished and then send a note of to C & T Publishing to let them know of the issues. 

This kind of stuff is really annoying because I don't know about you, but I first think that I did something wrong.  Then after checking all of that and you go back to find out it's the pattern that is screwed up, then it is even more annoying because you have paid good money for the book and these things should have been checked and tested.  So there went more than an hour of my time that I could have used for sewing.  I guess tomorrow I will start sewing the pieces together since I'm exhausted at this point in time and I don't want to make and sewing mistakes.

5 comments:

Marj said...

Sorry to hear that the pattern wasn't accurate. The quilt top is turning out great. It definitely is bright!

Quilt Pixie said...

love the warmth of the oranges, and the blue really is a great accent. Sorry to hear your frustration with the pattern...

Angelcat said...

Grrr, how annoying that the pattern hasn't been up to scratch. You might remember how much I love orange ;)

hetty said...

Your quilt is looking great! I love the colours! Too bad the pattern isn't accurate. Hope you can fix that.

Elizabeth said...

What a pain, at least you were able to trace it back to the pattern instead of taking the blame on yourself.

Those blocks you made sure look great in your strips!