Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dragon Quilt Wall Hanging - Part 2

I got the convergence quilt part completed today for the dragon quilt wall hanging. I made one change in the fabric. I had a plain dark purple batik that I switched to a lighter mauve one. I realized that it was too similar in value to the other 2 purple batiks (one with the dots, and the other one with the turquoise) that it wouldn't give enough contrast.

Overall I'm pleased with my first attempt at convergence quilts. You definitely want to starch the fabric before you even cut your initial 14" - 16" squares. I found that there was a lot of play in the fabrics and with the first pass through of sewing my seams weren't matching up that good. Fortunately that section gets cut out. When I rotated and merged the sections, the next pass through the seems matched up quite nicely.

Next step is to get the dragon appliqued to the top.

2 comments:

Quilt Pixie said...

loks like a great background! I love the mottling of the batiks.

Living on the Spit said...

Very beautiful color combinations! I am eager to see this piece progress as well...you always inspire me so!