Thursday, January 19, 2012

UFOs - Finished the Gloria Loughman Wall Hangings

I finally finished the 2 wall hangings from the Gloria Loughman workshop that I took back in the fall of 2008.  It's great to see them finished and have a couple of items no longer be UFOs. Unlike some people in blog land who I see have long lists of UFOs, I find personally that if my list of UFOs gets too long it starts to give me anxiety.  I think in part it has to do with my upbringing which was working class and there were many a time that things were tight because factories had layoffs during down times so you learned to live frugally and with purpose. So when I see too many UFOs on my list I start to question myself why did I decide to do tht project if it's just going to lay around collecting dust and never get finished. 

There are many legitimate reasons why projects get put on hold but for me I like to keep those numbers down to a dull roar. Also every now and then I will take a hard look at what is there and decide if something will ever get finished or is there something about a particular project that in my books it will likely remain a UFO forever.  If that is the case then it is time to donate it to someone who can put it to good use and finish it.  Why should it collect dust in a box for decades.  So I have decided that the Kaffe Fassett diamond quilt project will never get done.  I have lost complete interest in it and have no desire to complete it. I will donate the cut diamonds to the guild that I belong to for their charity quilt group where someone will gladly make it up into a quilt for charity.  I'll even make sure to provide some fabric for the back and binding and hopefully there will be someone interested in working on it.

So here are the finished wall hangings.  This one is called Colour is Magic.


This one is called Layer by Layer.


Here is a close up of the quilting that I did in the borders of both of these wall hangings.


So now to decide what I will be working on next, stay tuned.

4 comments:

hetty said...

I love your Gloria Loughman quilts. Beautiful! I did the Layer by layer one a couple of years ago. But it doesn't look as good as yours.

Sand and Sunshine said...

Nice job. Two thumbs up for crossing these off your list.

Needled Mom said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous!

Angela said...

I love these both, they're wonderful!