Monday, August 13, 2012

Gerber Daisy Wall Hanging - Part 4

All 5 Gerbers have been appliqued and the details of the petals have been stitched in. This is what the wall hanging looks like at this point.


It may be a bit difficult to see some of the details on the flowers so I have some close up shots. Here is the first Gerber. On this Gerber I used printed batiks.


Here is the second one and on this one I used hand dyed and printed batiks.


On the third one I used Fossil Fern fabrics.


The forth one has hand dyed batiks, a mist fusion and a Fossil Fern.


On the last Gerber I used a mist fusion, a couple of fairy frosts, a printed batik and a hand dyed.


On the Gebers there are anywhere from 3 to 5 thread changes (excluding the dark brown center). I'm using Madeira's Polyneon polyester thread.  The thread is made in Germany, was developed for machine embroidery so it's very durable and the colour selection is amazing. The other nice thing is the price is great, especially if you are on a budget. I do love my Superior Threads, they are expensive and they are worth it, but it's hard to build a stash of thread when one is on a budget.  My friend Sue introduced me to Madeira thread and she was introduced to it by a quilting teacher when she took a thread painting class. I got my thread spools from a company called All Stitch for $2.63 for 1,100 yards. They also ship to Canada which is great. Here is the thread that I'm taking about: 
http://www.allstitch.net/department/sort-polyester-40-spools-color-card-order-10192.cfm
If you are looking into buying an assortment of threads I would suggest getting the colour chart first since they are made from the actual threads and you can see what the actual colours look like which are very different from what appears on your monitor.

Well time to start making the quilt sandwich.





3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

The detail on the daisies is fabulous. That is going to be such a pretty quilt when it is finished.

ooglebloops said...

Gerberas are one of my favorite daisies - this is beautiful !! Very real and such alot of work!!!

hetty said...

Oh, my! That is so beautiful!